In the Mitte district of Berlin, there are always places to eat and drink at all times of the day and night, set to a backdrop of Berlin’s greatest historical sights and more contemporary iconic buildings and monuments. Typical places that serve German food are Tacheles, Obst and Gemuese, Café Silberstein, and Café Orange, which has a stunning interior décor complemented by high ceilings and opulent chandeliers. Together with the best of German food there is also a choice of Italian dishes.
Mitte, Berlin, is considered by many Berliners as the real centre of the city and along very trendy bars in Berlin, there are many restaurants and eateries that offer the very best in German food, such as:
• Café Restaurant Berlin, in Gleimstrasse 24, which presents a traditional German breakfast and a variety of German regional dishes throughout the day and evening;
• Schinkel-Klause is located at Unter den Linden, 5, and is a German restaurant within the Opera House. Typical dishes on the menu include Berliner Weisse and Berliner Eisbein, with the quantity of food on the plate is eye-wateringly big;
• Brecht Keller is at Chausseestrasse, 125, and is a renowned basement restaurant in the former home of the famous writer, Brecht. Some of the food is traditional Austrian although there is enough of a choice of top quality German dishes on the menu;
• Grill Royal is in Friedrichstrasse and is the place to go for the biggest and the best German steaks and fresh oysters;
• Aigner is a restaurant in Mitte, Berlin, that offers genuine haute German cuisine reflecting both Berlin and Viennese culinary traditions; and
• Classic German food has been served in Lutter & Wegner since 1811 and is complemented by an excellent wine cellar with German sparkling wines a speciality. Apart from many fine restaurants in the Mitte area of Berlin, there are also numerous bars that also serve good German food including the Victoria Bar, Newton Bar, and Reingold Bar.